View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
... For me the electric lends itself more to a band setting.
For home ... It could require additional gear to make it more rewarding.

I think a looper is essential ... I just recently got a Ditto X4 which is amazing. I can lay down a track or 2 with multi layers of sound and play my leads over them.... plus With the X4 I can also record 2 separate parts like a Verse and Chorus (or Bridge). Have them playback easily and switch back and forth. It has many added "looper" features for changing things up .. decay, various types of stops, fades, reverse... (I can talk all day about the X4).

Next there is the Band in Box pedals... Like the Digitech Trio and Trio + (with looper).... Pretty swiftly create bass and drum tracks to play along with... Very cool. Full band in one pedal...
I took lessons from this guy when I was a ten-year-old kid and he was a teenage phenom, back in the early-60's:

Doesn't seem to need anything other than a guitar, cable, and amp - no band, no overdrive, no stompboxes, no backing tracks - to make it "rewarding"; does take more than a little bit of old-fashioned practice, though...

When Dhani Harrison first took up guitar he was allowed a Strat, cable, and tweed Bassman, period - and I'd tend to think Papa George knew a little something about what makes electric guitars tick...

PSA: "Good electric guitar tone" isn't just about ear-searing distortion and how many layers of effects you can stack, and it never was: think outside the box(es) and draw upon your acoustic roots - touch, picking technique, tone color, dynamics, phrasing - and IME you'll be better off/more satisfied in the long run...