View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
My GIK bass traps are 4'x2'x5.5". The absorbing material is 4" thick and they leave about 1.5" on the back for an air gap between the trap and the wall (from what I've read, I think that gap increases the efficacy of the trap). They're framed out of 1" pine boards (which as you probably know measure 3/4") with corner brackets also make from 1" pine. Most are handing but one has been sitting on a low bookcase for at least a decade and hasn't lost it's square. I checked the back, and they just used short corner braces to firm them up.

I did this quick mock up on Photoshop to show how small the corner braces are. This is eyeballed but it's pretty close. There are no additional braces on the front and, as I said, they're holding up very well.

Full disclosure: I hardly ever move it. If it were moved around a lot it might make a difference but that could likely be compensated for by making the corner braces larger and using 2" pine instead of 1".
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/8dysqX8.jpg?1[IMG]
Big corner traps are to deaden strong bass nodes, and that's something you won't need to worry about if you're just strumming an acoustic and singing.
As long as you record in the middle of the wall, the panels you have will be plenty good.
And btw, using those panels should be able to get you some very nice recordings. Now you just have to press that record button!

Last edited by Monsoon1; 01-17-2019 at 07:04 AM.