Thread: Preamp headroom
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
You obviously don't need a preamp, so why don't you just get a dedicated EQ unit to give you the EQ you want and a DI box to allow you to use the XLR input of the amp?

On the other hand, if you do want to use a DI/Preamp unit, you could try the Radial PZ-Pre or PZ-Deluxe. I use the PZ-Pre with my GK Studio Negra and it has no problem handling the signal with the onbroad preamp when that preamp is set at around 2:00 or even a little higher. I use it with the "PZ" boost switch in the off position, and I use the channel volume controls to get an even balance with the other channel, which I use for a passive magnetic pickup with the "PZ" boost switch in (volume on channel 1 for the mag is set at about 2:00 and channel two balances that at about 10:00).

Other options are just to keep the preamp on your GK lower (easiest, but maybe a little noisy?), or I'm pretty sure you can go into the FX loop on the PADI, bypassing the preamp section, by (if I recall correctly) using an insert cable with the "ring" or send end running from your guitar to the TRS end, which when it's plugged into the FX loop should send the signal on to the EQ section of the PADI directly from the ring, no gain added. To do this you might have to plug a dummy jack into the PADI input to turn it on, but I don't recall--it's been a long time since I tried it. Maybe I'll try it tonight to see if I remember correctly.

Louis
Yes I understand there are EQ and DI options. I have EQ and DI capabilities. I prefer a preamp for various reasons. Really I do just fine with no preamp and will play that way this weekend.

I like the option a preamp gives. Plus I have another guitar that has a pretty low output preamp and it benefits from having some preamp gain. The PZ-Pre looks like a great unit and would probably meet my needs if only it didn't rely on a wall wart. Still, I'll have to check one out. If I can make it to 3/4 on the volume control that leaves me the space I need for increasing volume since I like to run in the vicinity of 1/2.

Truth is I also take advantage of the crazy headroom in the Schertler and in rare occasions for the David have used a preamp to boost volume above the amps maximum. And the rest of the story. Last night we played a strange crowded and noisy room, I came in a little under amped (brought the David and not the Unico). The house PA was limited and we had to choose to not put guitar in the house. I needed a little more output and the preamp would have got me there but I couldn't push it since the input gain was maxed. We're back in this room next month and I'll simply bring the Unico.

I'd still like a preamp that could handle the GK output a little better but it may not be practical.

hunter