View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

I'm a flat picker who moved onto finger style years ago.

The musicality of this sort of piece relies on the speed (as most of this style does) the reason being that single note runs sound very empty to the listener so throwing more notes in the air is an attempt at making up for it.

Once you can play the whole piece through at a slower pace without mistakes (muscle memory training) then you should play short sections doing speed bursts to performance speed and beyond. You have to find the tempo of failure and keep pushing that higher. Its fun doing this, but you might drive your family nuts while practicing,

The goal is to be able to play the piece beyond performance speed of the original artist. You have to be able to play faster than performance speed so that playing at performance speed is easier. At least that's the way I was taught way back when I took lessons from a flat picker.

When I was flatpicking, there was no internet and I had no clue about bluegrass music. If I had found out about it back then I would have gone nuts. I really could have used youtube

Also, I would go back to pinky bridging. There's nothing wrong with it.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 03-21-2021 at 12:26 PM.