View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobo View Post
Congrats! Looks fabulous!

I love following Tom's builds, all the more so as a Sands player myself. And even more so as someone who has (wood choices apart) a very similarly spec'd fan fretted Sands Model M due to start next year! So I'm super keen to find out how you get on, particularly with the scale lengths and parallel fret positioning (what was the thinking behind 12th fret?).

Best,

Dan
Hi Dan,
To be honest I very much trusted Tom on the scale length design, since I believe he mostly built 25-26s - excluding Beverly - so ended up going with his preference. I simply had a couple of beliefs:

1/ I love 12 fretters, and Tom's past M-12s have consistently impressed me. Adding a cutaway to the mix allows to keep good access on the dusty end of the fretboard. So clearly no compromise there.
2/ I play 50-60% of the time in open tunings (down to C), so the fan fret arrangement seemed like a reasonable option. I must admit that I first did a lot of research on the span, but ultimately trusted Tom.
I like having 25 (short scale) on the trebles, and 25.75 (something I considered) or 26 did not seem like a major difference to me.

All in all, not the most advanced thinking, but I know I should be pleased with the result. Also interested to understand what's the reasoning behind redwood/mahogany? Does that complement your current collection well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
We demand photos under finish!!!!!!
And I'll oblige! Tom sent it to finish early last week, so it should not be too long..

Last edited by Vaillant75; 09-29-2020 at 11:32 AM.