View Single Post
Old 11-15-2015, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Just exactly what I expected. The technique is a misnomer. The process is valid. Being a champion of the technical doesn't get to the practical purpose of the process.

You apply tension to the strings and 'that' has been termed stretching them. it is a process and it is valid process that assures that the strings are stable. Hence why I said pick your side of the argument you want to stand on but DO tension your strings!
Yes absolutely - I agree and I think you hit the nail on the head Kip. It's a misuse of the term, perhaps. The term "stretch" has a very specific meaning (permanent strain resulting in plastic deformation beyond the elastic stress limit of the metal = string gets longer).

There are three (I think) definitions at play here:

1) people who are technically specific and only use the above understanding of "stretch" and use the term in its most literal sense.

2) people who use the term "stretch" but mean loosen, not lengthen. For all intents and purposes this is totally reasonable - its not a perfect use of the word but it conveys a meaning and is very much "good enough".

3) people who don't understand physics and use the term actually thinking the string gets longer and longer and longer until it decides to stop getting longer.

People #1 say the metal doesn't permanently stretch, but it does loosen
People #2 say the metal stretches but they really mean it loosens
People #3 say the metal does really stretch and are wrong

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240