View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 05:19 PM

Whatever you call them (cheeks or shoulders), IMHO, compression of the sides (denting) is a non-issue. In order for compression to take place as a result of string tension, the fingerboard would have to shift on the top, and the dovetail glued surfaces would have to come unglued. If either of these actually happens, the neck is loose, and needs to be reglued.
That is not to say that there is not some denting of the sides from undercutting the neck mating surface, but this is not due to string tension, but due to tight fitting when the joint is assembled. This denting is more common on softer woods like mahogany....much less so on rosewood or maple.
As someone who has done over 1400 resets in the last 33 years, I absolutely question the practice of leaving no gap at the end of the tenon. IMHO, it does nothing but make the joint much harder to steam apart.
My resetting record includes many, many 1920's and 1930's guitars, which are old enough that they should show some evidence of the denting of the sides causing the neck angle to change. I have not seen it.

Quote:
I am given to understand that they do not actually continue the braces the whole way into the dovetail itself.
I can't see how it would make any difference. Once glued together with a well fitted joint, the neck block and neck function as one mass. As long as the A-frame braces are connected to this, it is irrelevant whether they continue to the neck itself.

Last edited by John Arnold; 11-29-2017 at 05:33 PM.