View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot ... I did actually own a Lowden a couple of years ago , (and a fine sounding guitar it was too) but after reading that reply, I would certainly never buy another.

I particularly take issue with

"the shoulders of the dovetail matched the curvature of the guitar
sides"

If the neck heel is tapered, then it behoves the maker to ensure that the contact area between the heel and the sides is absolutely flat, irrespective of the curve of the shoulders.

If the neck heel is parallel, then of course it doesn't matter. But the Lowden heels are tapered ... so ...I really don't get what he is trying to say.
I believe he's referring to fitting the shoulders dead with the heel area of the sides, leaving no gaps, as opposed to the often used technique of slightly undercutting the shoulders to allow easier fitment, which in turn leaves a sharper edge to the shoulder which digs into the side wood. Or in other words, his preferred look is to have a rounded upper bout, and he "copes" the shoulders to match the curve rather than undercut them. This gives him maximum surface area.

I understand what you say, just have the heel area flat. But I suppose that's an aesthetic he doesn't prefer.