View Single Post
Old 04-15-2016, 06:40 AM

What does more (or less) forgiving mean?

--

"I've been told that all condenser mics -even the multi-pattern condensers with hypercardioid patterns & reflection filters etc. pick up all the room noise. -Otherwise my research would of led me to the very affordable CAD M179 ($279.00 can$) -20Hz to 20KHz multi pattern condenser with hypercardioid setting;"

Well, "more room noise" can be the result of you not realizing that condenser mics, on average are a lot more sensitive than dynamic mics. As a result, If you've been using dynamics and plug in a condenser, EVERYthing is louder. That leads some people to think that condenser mics "pick up all the room noise."

Also, condenser mics, because they work differently than dynamics, do have an increased HF response. As a result, they do hear more of the HF. If that's where your room is making noise, you'll certainly hear it.

Then there's pattern. The TLM 103, for example, is a condenser with a very wide cardioid pattern compared to other dynamic and condenser mics. Because of this, it will hear more room sound than a mic with a tighter cardioid pattern.

The TLM 103 and AKG C414 (regardless of which version) are pickier about what mic preamp they sound best with. It's not always the more expensive preamp that achieves the best results. Cheaper preamps may be OK, but they may do so by not having the bandwidth or fidelity of more expensive preamps. As a result, they scrape off both some of the good and bad signal. You don't notice the loss unless you've heard the guitar, instrument or voice with a better combination. It just sounds better than another combination of mic and preamp.

The Sennheiser 441 is a great dynamic mic. If your guitar is really bright, the 441 might tame it and make it sounds better. If you play quietly, the result will probably be that you hear more system noise because you need to use more preamp gain to get the signal to an appropriate level.

Ribbon mics - not necessarily my favorite, but there are good reasons for them and the new ribbons like the Audio Technica AT4080 and Rode NTR are quiet and sound quite nice on pretty much everything including guitar. You'll probably end up rolling off some low end, but these two ribbons have enough sensitivity to allow that without bringing up the noise. They are both as sensitive as some condenser mics.

So, nothing is as easy as it seems and yes, if you do have a truly horrible room (square rooms are frequently the worst), all bets are off.

Yeah, sure.. Why not try the CAD M179. You'll learn something and can apply that to the next purchase.......and there will be a next purchase.

That's how that works.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Last edited by Ty Ford; 04-15-2016 at 06:46 AM.