View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 09:04 PM

Default Lefty

I would recommend "Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar" by Arnie Berle and Mark Galbo. This book gets your thumb going back and forth and within a relatively short period of time, you are playing some material that sounds pretty good.

Then Mark Hanson's "Art of Contemporary Travis Picking."

After these two - I would evaluate where I wanted to go with fingerstyle guitar - if blues, then Stefan Grossmans' material is highly recommended, also Happy Traum's series on fingerstyle blues guitar from Homespun (also check out Taylor clinician - Artie Traum - good stuff on Homespun tapes). I have enjoyed Kenny Sultan's lessons on CD and performances on DVD. My favorite dvd series has been "Blues by the Book - parts I & II" by Roy Book Binder, simply great stuff also on Homespun. And I am old enough to remember Merle Travis and Chet Atkins - and I still like them, they do not get "too old" for me. There is some nice material from Stefan Grossman's company on how to play fingerstyle in the Travis/Atkins style.

If you are interested in another style of music - I cannot give good recommendations.

I am not much of a fan of contemporary fingerpicking with the exception of Alex de Grassi and Michael Hedges. But...these two players changed my ideas about what was possible with acoustic guitar.

Good luck

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...

Last edited by Idaho John; 05-18-2009 at 01:25 AM.