View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 08:57 PM

8 days post-op. Sitting here in my NYC hotel room, L arm elevated. Monday my surgeon was so pleased with my progress that we skipped the plaster or fiberglass cast and went straight to an EXOS brace, which is essentially a custom-fitted adjustable removable cast. Starts out neoprene over soft plastic, but after heat-activation is molded to fit, and then it hardens. Can be re-molded as the swelling lessens.

Since I had scaphoid fracture fixation, my brace has a thumb “spica,” which prevents full rotation of the CMC joint. And that’s the problem—my thumb & fingers are so short that my thumb can’t reach across the rigid “divide” to meet my forefinger. A pediatric size would correct the situation, but then it wouldn’t fit my forearm or even palm. Basically, my L hand lacks an opposable thumb and is therefore darn near useless. I need help putting on my wristwatch & bra and even opening packets of stuff (will have Visiting Angels in next week for a “life-hack” lesson or heaven forbid, helping me dress & undress on days my housekeeper is off and my husband is working long hours). I also bought some caftans for days when wearing a bra is not an option and “the girls” must roam free undetected (TMI, fellas, I know). Even typing is a chore—the edge of the cast-brace brushes the wrong keys.

Believe it or not, I am going through with my gig on Sunday—singing and playing harmonica one-handed. Monday I will go back to the ortho clinic and see if they can remold the EXOS so that the thumb spica is closer to my forefinger and I would be at least as dexterous as a chimp.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.