View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Right now there are some Zoom open mics, but they are poor substitutes for the real thing.
I would disagree. I participate in a couple of open mics weekly. I wouldn't say they are poor substitutes, they are just different. Those I participate in use a round-robin approach, with each participant playing a single song per round with multiple rounds as time permits.

There is a learning curve and, for many, some gear acquisition. The learning curve involves not only learning the ins and outs of using Zoom for music, it also involves learning how to set up your equipment properly. The gear acquisition may involve investing in mics, stands, mixers, audio interfaces, webcams, or other gear.

Over this year of lock-down I and my fellow Zoom open mic participants have vastly improved our audio and some of us have also improved our video. Believe it or not, it has also built a stronger sense of community than that that existed before COVID, partly because we have all been helping each other with our sound.

If you have not participated in a Zoom open mic I heartily suggest trying it.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

Last edited by phcorrigan; 02-28-2021 at 12:12 PM.