View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
the only one i own is a 58 tweed deluxe clone that i built. it is so different than any of my other amps and is fantastic, but, so are my other ones.

i have played a couple that friends of mine had-a soldano and a marshall clone, and they were great to play thru also. if the builder uses good practices with quality components and point to point or a good board, they can be better than a lot of the manufactured ones. of course, they may also cost a lot more for that reason. just ask clintj about his builds!!

play music!
I've played a couple of what could be called "boutique". A Hughes & Kettner, which was a bit switch and knob heavy for me. I'm also working on selling a Mesa 5:50 Express+ for a friend. Fun amp, but it's easy to dial in a bad sound as easily as a good one. The typical newer Mesa distortion sound is a little too compressed and mid scooped for me. Played a couple of Victorias, which were spectacular amps. Also got to try out a Matchless Lightning, which was insanely fun (and loud). I don't think there was a bad sound to be had from that amp no matter what guitar I plugged in.

But yeah, I've got a few handbuilt amps. A Marshall 18W type by Avatar, a few clones of old Fenders, and a couple of newer amps like a Hammond conversion I designed and a 5W MOD102 I just acquired. I already did some tweaking to reduce the hum and tighten up the overdrive tone on that last one.

Back line: Tweed Bassman, BF Super Reverb, and the 18W.
Front line: Tweed Deluxe, and my Fishman acoustic amp.
Bookshelf: the MOD102 (top) and the Hammond

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird