View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechariot1x View Post
So recently I have thought about beginning to record some of the songs I have learned. The thing is everytime I think about it I start thinking about all the imperfections I want to fix first. My dad (also a guitar player and teacher) says that if you wait till something is perfect it will never get recorded and that I should record a couple and can always record again later if I get a better grasp on it. So my question is, when do you all think you should record, when a song is (nearly) perfect, or before when you are very comfortable with the piece but maybe still think you can improve it.
Hi tc1

My first portable recorder cost about $5 at the local drug store, and it was a small reel-to-reel (3" reels) and powered by 2 "D" batteries, and had a switchable post clamp which recorded at 3˝ inches or 7 inches a second (your choice). It had a one inch speaker, no headphone output, and a $.50 cent microphone.

I started recording everything I could. When I heard myself play my instruments, I knew immediately what to work on, and I've never looked back.

I will record song ideas, musical thoughts, fragments, incomplete arrangements etc just to preserve them. I will record songs of me playing and put them away for a week or two then play them to see if they are sound, or need more work.

I don't think there has to be an "NOW I'm finally ready to record for posterity..." moment.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…