View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 01:14 PM

Default Picking a Winner

I’m mostly lurking at AGF, but sometimes a story is too juicy not to share. Consider this story under the context of, “haven’t we alll experienced buyer’s remorse once or twice?” I have. But this is a happy story!
A couple of months ago I went to an estate sale hoping to find a deal on hand tools or fishing gear. In the basement, tucked in a corner, I spot a dusty guitar case with a Taylor badge on it. You know where this is going.
I opened the case to discover a cedar-topped 14 series - tuners were pitted and it was in desperate need of a good set-up. I asked if the guitar was for sale. “Yes, everything is for sale.”
There wasn’t any documentation, the sellers asked for $500, I countered with $250 not knowing the history nor the structural “soundness” of the guitar. Even with old strings, it sounded warm with rich, chiming overtones. We settled on $330 and I was out the door to see my guitar tech. Thankfully, everything checked out. New tuners, new Elixirs, added bone, nut, saddle, and pins from Bob Colosi made this 514ce “better than new”.
Fast forward several weeks and several research calls to Taylor, my favorite Taylor and best purchase to date, a 2016 Taylor 514ce Fall LTD, cedar over granadillo.
You know the reputation of Taylor necks, the playability is 2nd to none! I am a flesh-only fingerstyle player - the warmth and responsiveness are indescribable - rings like a piano with endless sustain. One of my kids will get this fine instrument when I buy the farm.
Someone smarter than me in this forum said, “You don’t find the perfect guitar, the perfect guitar finds you!” In this incredible instance, very true!