View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Default K Yairi CYTM custom guitar

About two years ago I started watching Dominic Miller on YouTube. As many of you know, he has been Sting’s guitarist for over 30 years, or some say Sting is Dominic’s singer. At any rate, he composes the music of quite a few Sting songs, and has his own band, which plays a type of jazz with a little classical on occasion. He is classically trained, and I have studied his Fingerstyle technique both right and left hand. I can watch him play for hours.

So, about 16 months ago I decided I really wanted (needed) a guitar like Dominic’s. Nylon string classical. He plays Kazuo Yairi guitars, and has different ones, but the CYTME model was what I wanted. He performs with both a black one and a natural one. So, I decided to go for something in between…translucent black stain. I contacted the Europe K Yairi reps, but didn’t get replies to emails except from a store in La Motte d’Aigues, who didn’t have any but knew Dominic well…so, I was fortunate to have a friend whose wife is Japanese and was in Japan at the time…I filled out an order form and she submitted it locally to a guitar store in Tokyo. In no time at all I was emailing the factory directly and I was on my way! I didn’t want electronics, so just the CTYM model…translucent black stain. Master grade maple back & sides, cedar top, satin finish bridge and neck. Neck color is dark brown with a hint red. Headstock has the K Yairi symbol, and I decided to go with Scheller tuners, as Mark Hatcher had made me a fan. So, here’s some pictures on the next posts!!
Lower bout width 12.7 inches. 640 mm scale.

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar