View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and great info.
I spent hours debating and reading-researching Babyface pro, Audient ID44, Craneborne audio's Mic pres. To go with new interface, or to use existing interface and go with new pres, was the question at hand.
Most reviewers who had owned or used both BabyFace Pro and Audient ID44, thought that the Babyface pro had slightly better- more opensounding pres that Audient.
For some though, they still thought the BabyFace Pro pres were higher quality...but liked the Musicality of the Audient better. Further stating that the Audient brought forth that Analog warmth, and was still open and clear.
Audient users who own the ID22 and moved up tot he ID44 said that they could hear a clear difference in the newer design of converters in the ID44. Fatter, clearer, more open. And some even said that in comparison to the BabyFace Pro the Audient converters seemed better.
Craneborne has been the one that has really intrigued myself. It has outstanding reviews by pro reviewers and end users for a price that is way, way below the standard of high quality pres. But if I choose the pres, that would mean that I would be using my older Scarlet converters....of which most all have said would not effect the sound.
I have finally made my decision. A good part of my decision it is based on work flow ease. I am an old guy who was brought up on the hands on thesis. (Hard to teach an old guy new tricks!) Audient has more of what I am use to, individual Manuel gain knobs, 48 volt on and off switch, High pass filter switch, 10db switch, mono summing & three buttons that you can assign to work with the function that you want such as polarity flip or other. I like things being out in the open. And with the Audient, it gives me more of what I am use to. I of course will still have to learn my way around the internal side of assignment and other internal features.
Possibly the biggest determining factor is that I need more than just two channels. While most likely the Schoeps will give me everything I ever needed and wanted for acoustic guitar, I still like to experiment. Experimentation is a big part of my life. I have an unusual idea using the Stereo pair of Schoeps and a third mic that I have not seen implemented in the way I will before. Most probably, this idea will not work. But hey, satisfying one's curiosity is almost always worth the price of admission. Sometimes you just got do something out of curiosity.
And since I am a singer songwriter, I need a third Channel anyway...for greater work tapes of stereo guitar and voice. And on very rare occasion, I want to take my interface with me for those wonderful friend jams. Audients 4 mic input will come in handy for those.
And the final technical aspect of the ID44 that pushed me over the top was is the fact that there are sends and returns on two of the four channels. This will allow me to add a compressor directly into the chain if I desire. But more than that, If I do add some external mic pres the Audient sends and returns will let you Bypass Both the Line input and Mic inputs. Yes, it has been well said that this is probably a mood point with today's advancement in electronics. But Us old guys get things stuck in our heads and I was taught the fewer the electronics you go through the higher the quality of sound. And I do want to add in the future some higher end mic pres.
Wish me luck I order tomorrow.