View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 03:30 PM

If you want to have a religous experience, turn down the lights, put on the headphones, and listen to Eva Cassidy sing Over The Rainbow....you'll never be the same. Here's a little Q/A snippet from her web site....Chris Biondo was Eva's producer/boyfriend.

Danno
-------------

When the final mix of "Over the Rainbow" was completed, and Eva, Chris and whoever else was involved in the decision said "yep, this is what is going on the CD," did anyone, especially Eva, have any idea what a profound effect her rendition would have on so many people? Did they sense that this was a very special recording?

ANSWER: From Chris Biondo: "No. We worked really hard on it but we didn't think it was very good, at the time. I remember the day we finished it, it was July 18, 1992. We were really tired when we finished it. It was just Eva and I, we didn't think it was very good, Chuck Brown called and we said 'Come on over, we want you to come to a party with us,' we went over to a friend of Eva's and had a jam session in the basement.... Eva had been singing that song for years, she had already recorded it once when she was in high school. I remember we were driving to Ikea Furniture one day, she pulled out a cassette and she wanted me to hear 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow.' And when we'd go places she would sing it in the car. A couple of times I had to pull over I was crying so hard, it was brutal. I'm immune to it by now though. People used to ask to hear that song a lot. The hard part for her wasn't singing it, it was playing the guitar part all the way through without making any mistakes. It was all her own version. There was a note she changed that was really good, the word 'far,' she changed the note, it's better than the way Judy Garland sang it." For more information, read my article about "Over the Rainbow."