View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtrucks View Post
Try example 3 from this link before checking JT's fingering in the video (scroll down for the transcription/tab).

https://www.musicradar.com/tuition/g...-taylor-625951

Both my teacher and I couldn't achieve anywhere near the fluidity until we switched to the shape Taylor uses. It feels awkward, but it doesn't sound it!
I worked out the fingering for that in a few seconds before watching the video (and without having heard the track). It's the only way to get the G# and A to sustain as written.

To begin with of course, I probably tried the fingering you started with - index on the low B. But I realised straight away that couldn't work if those notes were supposed to sustain, so switched index to 3rd string for both chords, with middle staying on 5th.

It does feel a little weird, but when you've played as many Bert Jansch tunes as I have, this is nothing.

But still, you won't find me using his A and D shapes in the above video! Anything he can do with his fingerings for those, I reckon I can do with more orthodox ones.

But I do think it's great how he is so willing to explain his tecniques, and so clear about explaining them. Some players can be as willing but not very clear.