View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedandelivery View Post
... I find dreads to be clunky and generally uncomfortable these days.
Obviously, no setup is going to change that.

Quote:
As I play up the neck now I can hear the strings hitting the frets, not buzz, just a slightly metallic sound
If it has that sound at specific frets, it suggests un-even frets, the remedy of which is fret dressing, not what I consider part of a "setup".

If it has that sound over larger sections of the fingerboard, it suggests, issues with neck/fingerboard shape and/or string heights relative to the tops of the frets (i.e. saddle height). It could also be something else on the instrument that is vibrating, such as a loose brace, strings not fully seated in the bridge, shape of the saddle, loose machine head washers, etc.

Quote:
Seems like it's right on the edge which is why I'm asking for everyone's advice now.
Generally, a neck reset is required when the action is higher than you want and there is insufficient saddle projecting from the bridge to reduce the saddle height further. There are four measurements related to that, as follows:

1. the string height from top of the 12th fret to bottom of the strings
2. the amount of saddle projecting from the top of the bridge
3. the vertical string height from the guitar top to the bottom of the strings at the bridge.
4. the amount of curvature (relief) in the neck

You can measure 1-3, above, with a short ruler in 1/32", 1/64" or mm, your choice. The neck relief should, typically be between .005" and .01", as measured mid-span (7th fret) when the bass E string is simultaneously pressed against the first and 14th fret. If the neck relief is in within that range, then double the difference between the string heights you have at the 12th fret and the string heights you want at the 12th fret, is the amount that would need to be removed from the saddle to obtain your desired string height at the 12th fret.

To ensure adequate break angle of strings over the saddle, you need to maintain about 1/16" minimum. If you can remove from the existing saddle height the amount you have measured and calculated above, the saddle can be reduced to obtain your desired string height at the 12th fret. If not, it is a candidate for some form of remedial action.

Remedial action can be ramping the bridge holes to increase break angle over the saddle, shaving the bridge, as you've already had done, or changing the neck angle (neck reset). It depends upon the specifics of the instrument - and its geometry - how viable ramping the holes and shaving the bridge are. In many cases, if extensive shaving of the bridge is done, if a neck reset is done later, the bridge might need to be replaced.

If the current string height at the 12th fret is what you want, and you have sufficient break angle over the saddle, you likely don't need a neck reset. The photos you posted show an adequate break angle of strings over the saddle. There is likely room to do some ramping, if necessary.

In some instruments, there is a loss of volume as the vertical string height from guitar top to bottom of the strings decreases. Some report regaining that volume after having a neck reset that increases that vertical height.