View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the replies so far! Being in a major city you'd think it would be easy to just pop into a luthier's shop to discuss this but that is not the case these days.

Quote:
The obvious question is, if it plays well, why is it your least played? If it already plays well, what do you expect a setup or a neck reset to accomplish?
Fair question. I have taken a liking to smaller guitars and I find dreads to be clunky and generally uncomfortable these days. I guess "playing well" is a relative term. It doesn't play quite as well as my other guitars but those are single builder instruments. As I play up the neck now I can hear the strings hitting the frets, not buzz, just a slightly metallic sound of, I assume, the strings touching other frets they aren't supposed to be touching. It's subtle, but it's there. I would want a setup to address that.

Overall, the initial shock of TME telling me it needed a reset still stays with me. I wrote the person I had just bought it from a frantic email asking for my money back. He encouraged me to get a second opinion. I accepted the results, cooled my jets after that, and played it for many years. If I sell it I wouldn't want to deceive a new buyer but I don't want to tell them that it needs a neck reset if it doesn't. I have seen guitars in obvious need of a neck reset and this is not one of those cases. Seems like it's right on the edge which is why I'm asking for everyone's advice now.

Quote:
A pack of sandpaper is not really long enough to get a good idea of neck geometry in regards to neck-set angle.
Ah, yeah that makes sense. Unfortunately I don't have a long metal straight edge at the moment. I'll see if I can track one down.