View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 03:25 PM

Regarding sanders, I'll state what might be obvious to some: There is a huge difference between "wide belt" vs "drum" sanders, and that difference is magnified as the width increases.

The proliferation of drum sanders (esp. the PerforMax and Jet models) seem to have standardized them as the non-production-house standard. In my opinion and experience, drums are a significant downgrade from wide-belt, particularly for the work done by luthiers. Wide belts have equal or better thickness accuracy, much better heat control, much better dust collection, much better anti-clogging properties, much better grit changing process, ... maybe more? Now that I'm typing this, I cannot think of a single reason I'd choose a drum if both machines were sitting right in front of me, tuned-up and ready to use.

Trouble is price and space, but a used & older wide belt can sometimes approach a new drum's price, and the size increase is mostly vertical.

Final consideration, though: A lot of those benefits are moot if you have patience and are removing 0.1mm per pass anyway