View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi junior View Post
I'm looking for ideas for an instrument to add some variety to my collection.

My acoustic playing is a mix of fingerstyle Celtic (open tunings), blues, classic American folk (Travis picking) occasionally a little claw hammer...

I'm considering an electric archtop with 1 3/4 nut and 12s so it feels more like an acoustic. Maybe something from Eastman, or the Godin 5th avenue. I'm assuming a true acoustic archtop might lack the sustain for those music styles, but I don't know, I've never tried...

But above all else, I'm just looking for something different and interesting that could handle those styles...
The Godin 5th Avenue - either the (discontinued) all-acoustic version or the Kingpin single-pickup electric - should be right up your alley; while there's a bit less sustain - characteristic of the breed and, in this case, less dramatic than you might think - your playing will also sound more focused and "cleaner" (provided, of course, that you've got a clean technique to begin with - archtops of any cloth can be merciless in exposing technical deficiencies). I have the acoustic version which I fingerpick regularly, and it has much the tonal vibe of a 00/000 but with the mid-focused punch and projection of an archtop - good for the older styles you're interested in, perhaps less so for modern Celtic (but FYI great for trad Irish pub/rebel songs)...