View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

I was listening to her on YouTube over speakers recently in our living room and my wife asked, "Who is that?" I told her and my wife said, "Her singing is totally lifeless, without expression." I was stunned.

I'm hearing her terrific guitar playing and what I consider a pleasant voice, and my wife only hears her singing and feels that there she comes up short.

So, I'm a fan, but if she comes around here live, I probably won't be taking my wife.

- Glenn
Well, I got to see her perform last night and there was nothing lifeless or expressionless about her voice. Her singing really stood out as a strength. IMO, she has developed into a much stronger singer over the past several years. If you were listening to a video of an early performance of hers, maybe that had something to do with your wife's take on it. I don't think her voice is quite as tonally distinctive as some other singers, but she has been learning how to put it to very good and effective use and she doesn't suffer from any of those weird exaggerated countryish vocal affectations. If you were listening to a song off her current album, I can see where your wife might be coming from because her vocals in the recordings of those songs don't come off nearly as strong as they did when she sang them last night on stage.

The show last night was a knock out. She was backed by a good band. The venue was small and I was standing at the edge of the stage less than ten feet from her so I had a great close up view of her guitar playing. Her right hand is incredible whether doing flat picking, claw hammer, or finger style. Fast, accurate, and clean with lots of dynamics. Her picking in White Freightliner (played solo) left me and several others around me just shaking our heads in awe.

The songs on her new album definitely are branching out beyond her bluegrass background and don't really serve primarily as a showcase for her guitar playing skills. I'm guessing that's intentional on her part and she may have wanted to focus on her song writing and singing for the album. She played almost all the songs of the album and I have to say they come off stronger performed live. The set also included a number of very cool covers. I highly recommend seeing her if you have the chance.