View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I consider the 3:1 rule (spaced pair micing) as a guideline. As the distance between the mics is increased, relative to the distance from the guitar to the mics, the phasing issues can be reduced.

However, it's a bunch of tradeoffs. For example, if you decide the best mic locations for the tone you want breaks the rule, then what do you do? If you move the mics closer to the guitar while keeping the distance between them you might have issues with proximity effect. If you increase the distance between the mics while keeping the distance to the guitar the same you might not pick up the tonal sweet spot you want.

For me, I usually use spaced pair stereo micing and relax/ignore the 3:1 rule. I usually have my mics in the range of 16-22" from the guitar and the distance between them is usually 30", sometimes less. I don't playback in mono, so that's a non-issue. I usually put one mic panned pretty much hard left and the other pretty much hard right, so that helps. Micing in X-Y could be used, but I've never liked the sound I get as well as a spaced pair.
3:1 rule does not apply to recording solo guitar. One earlier thread http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=282231

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above