View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 PM

I would just be guessing if I said it was definitely mahogany, because the photos are not nearly detailed enough. However, I am pretty sure it is not sapele.
Quote:
when I hear companies use terms like "Genuine Mahogany" red flags go up. It's either hog or it's not. Same with "Simple Dovetail". I've done enough woodworking to know that a dovetail is a specific type of joint. "Simple Dovetail" never existed until Martin invented it.

It's Marketing-ese to make you think that something is something it's not.
'Hog' is swine.

Actually, in these two examples Martin is very specific, with no intent to deceive whatsoever. 'Genuine mahogany' is Swietenia macrophylla, AKA Honduras mahogany, bigleaf mahogany, South American mahogany, etc. Sapele or sipo are not genuine mahogany, and have never been described as such by Martin. The Martin simple dovetail is not tapered. The traditional Martin dovetail is. Maybe you have a better way to describe these.
While I do have issues with Martin's lack of specificity when it comes to the woods used for necks and the 15 series bodies, the two examples you cited could not be more clear.

Last edited by John Arnold; 12-26-2018 at 12:20 PM.