View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Great info! So what did you for your friend to "fix" the sound to be heard above the chatter? What exactly did you do to the mid sweeps? Is the idea to find a mid frequency that's not competing with the chatter? Did you accomplish this without raising his volume?
Make sure the gain staging is right, set the mid gain back to about 10 O’clock to start and sweep the frequency until it it’s in the mix. Bar chatter is comprised of human voices which cover the spectrum of your voice and more, so notch out the competing frequency, and your voice will sit in the mix without raising the volume.

You can do this by ear with negative eq. I almost never boost frequencies when I mix. I just make sure everything isn’t competing. Once everything wasn’t overlapping, everything sounded clear and the vocals cut through the chatter.

This wasn’t possible without being able to select the mid frequency. You can go even more surgical with a fully parametric eq that some of the digits desks have. (QSC TouchMix, etc)

It’s nice to have mid sweeps because when you need them, you really need them!
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

Last edited by The Kid!; 02-15-2019 at 04:36 PM.