View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Compression, well, I use it all the time because the performer (cough) usually does not have perfect dynamic control, or even if they do, the guitar is sitting in a mix, perhaps just a vocal. It's a rare performer that can balance their guitar playing and vocal performance to the point an audio *recording* doesn't show some improvement with a little compression, especially if you are trying to target a specific kind of loudness and dynamics. Just my experience, though.

Given my application is solo instrumental fingerstyle acoustic, what has been frustrating in searching out advice on learning about applying compression (and understanding compression parameters) is that most of what I find is in the context of making the guitar sit properly in a mix with other instruments and/or a vocalist. One of the articles that made some sense to me was looking at compression where a solo instrumental player is using percussive techniques as the percussion can create transients that benefit from compression to smooth out the recording.

I’ve got a “heavy” thumb that I am always trying to tame and perhaps compression could be used to smooth it out in the mix rather than EQ’ing?
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)