View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Hey Sprucetop, interesting post. Why do you think this is?

This guitar in question is the worst sounding RainSong you've ever heard (and is prefixed with "CO"), while you've previously owned a "CO" that you enjoyed? I'm just confused at the statement and hoping you will elaborate a bit. Do you think it is the neck? RainSong themselves claim that one of the reasons for updating the neck is because the claim it enhanced the tone of the newer models.
Now that I think of it, the only worse-sounding RainSong I ever played was a WS1000N2-like high-end model (what was it, please help me out) that came out about a decade ago with the black-coated DR strings. Even the dealer thought it didn't sound good as delivered and he ripped the factory-installed black DRs off and replaced them with a set of D'Addario strings and Voila! a totally different-sounding guitar. I don't know why the new RainSong CO-WS1000N1 was so less than inspirational in its tone. I did, however, play it after playing a wonderful-sounding new Larrivee D-40R that had also just come into the shop. I've had both a RainSong CO-WS1000N1 and a RainSong CO-DR1000N1, and although as per their intended construction they both sounded a bit less crystalline than several Classic Series models of each I've owned, they were still good-sounding instruments that didn't cause me any tonal concerns. Could the new CO-WS1000N1 have different layering than before? Was it just a botched crafting job? I'll have to go to the shop next week and play it again to hear if I still agree with my initial assessment--I Hope I Don't!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-23-2021 at 01:02 PM.