View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

The workflow really is easy with the Spire (with an iPad Pro): pick an effect (space, amp, pedal), do a "sound check" playing/singing, record. To add more tracks, repeat. You can do a elementary mix (adjust volume, pan right or left). Several one-click options to export the file. Done.

Compared to my Zoom H4n Pro, the Spire is a walk in the park. I have used the onboard condenser mic, plugged in dynamic and large diaphragm condenser mics, guitars (acoustic and electric), bass (direct), electronic drums (direct). If I want more guitar effects than the Spire offers, I run a direct line out from a THR30ii to the Spire.

Over the time with the Spire, I have learned what I like with mic placement, for better results. I cannot imagine a less complicated recording set-up. I don't profess to be professional in my results, but there has been remarkable improvement after getting the Spire.

Working with the Spire made me more comfortable in using the Shure MV88+ with an iPhone for music videos. For decades, making music was about playing out for me. That went away in the past year (corporate events), so doing some recording (mostly for my Honey) has filled that void. My music partner likes to do full band recordings (with he and I playing all the instruments), but I tend to do more guitar/bass/vocals for myself. The Spire is slick for that.