View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I ordered an Epiphone SG Prophecy...the action was good, the guitar seems decent, but the fret ends on the lower side of the neck are absolute meat hooks...If this guitar had been on the wall of a guitar shop and I took it down, one feel of the fret ends would have had me put it back on the wall without even playing it...I've been playing guitar for 56 years. This was the worst case of raggedy fret ends on any guitar I've played...I'll keep the guitar and fix the fret ends myself...

My wife ordered some tools from StewMac. I haven't had to do any fret work on any of my guitars in over 5 decades of playing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I recently picked up a Sterling Cutlass CT-50...when I got it the fret ends were like a cheese grater. I dressed the ends, played it again and decided they were STILL terrible. So I really got into it and spent a lot of time doing it right...
KILN. DRIED. WOODS. - the "new normal" of the guitar world...

I never had this problem with any pre-1970's instrument...

They do because they can - including virtually all the big-name USA manufacturers, all the Pac-Rim makers, and most small-shop/individual luthiers - and as long as we keep buying them they'll keep selling them...