Thread: Shure MV88plus
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I’ve read the entire thread and watched the videos. Thanks to all for sharing an informative process and your talents. I’ve been reading other such threads in this subforum as well as product details at the Shure website and after looking at a number of other possible solutions as an entry-level/novice, the MV88+ kit seems like it might be the best option for me. I’ll be recording just acoustic guitar and vocals without amps or external mics.

Some questions...

- When detaching the mic from the stand to position it closer to guitar/vocal using an extension cable (such flexibility seems quite desirable), how easy does its design allow for proper, secure placement? The Blue Raspberry, though it doesn’t mount directly on the recording device, has a built-in stand to facilitate tabletop support whereas none of the others I’ve seen have any form of built-in support. The Zoom iQ6/7 certainly doesn’t and there’s no such accessory available. A separate tabletop mic stand would work for some, like the MV88.
- is it to get The MV88 is supported by an app...is that what you’re using and if not, what are you opting for?
- I saw no mention of effects on the website. You can apply reverb, etc., right?
- In addition to video/audio recording to upload to YouTube, can you record just audio in proper format for upload to sites like SoundCloud? I assume so, but want to be sure.

Thanks!
Hi Tom,

I'll try to answer your questions, keeping in mind that I am only about 2 weeks in with the MV88+.

Regarding mic placement: the mic clip has a cold shoe type mount. It is a smart design, but isn't an "every application" solution. The "kit" that is part of the MV88+ is great for holding just the mic. I have another small tripod with a phone-holder, so the phone and mic can each have their own small tripod - it makes positioning a snap. The 6' lightning connector extension cable really expands placement options. The cable that comes with the kit is less than a foot long.

The MV88+ is supported with a video app and an audio app. Getting ahead here, yes, you can use the kit for audio only. The Shure Motiv video app allows you to set the microphone for the parameters you prefer, and that setting stays with the mic. If you change from the app to the phone's video, the mic settings stay. I just did that today, and will have a post with it when I'm done with this one.

There are no effects such as reverb with the app. There are several settings (spoken word, singing, flat, acoustic guitar, and loud (for amplified situations, also something I did earlier today). There are adjustments to the polar patterns with the mic, from narrow to wide, a cardioid, and left/right (good for an interview situation or perhaps two singers using a centered mic). Adjustable EQ.

The recording format has some adjustments, but you should have no issue with uploading it to SoundCloud.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Jim