View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It's interesting you say that. When I first installed my HFN, I put more putty on than I probably should have and I applied just a slight amount of pressure. The tone was very natural, warm and fat sounding. I worried that it wasn't pressed in enough so I put more pressure and the result was a thinner/brighter tone. It does seem as though some pickups definitely do benefit from a bit of a thicker adhesive to tame the high end.

With that said, it does sometimes make me wonder if the Amulet I tried wouldn't maybe benefit from a putty install? The tape is so thin that I feel as though in my particular guitar, the lenses are just amplifying too much high end and need a thicker type of adhesive in order to tame that high end. I mean it's an easy enough experiment.
I'm very interested in your findings if and when you try using putty instead of the Trance tape for mounting your Amulets. My wish is that the Trance tape was even thinner than its .009 inch thickness but what an ordeal that would be to try to apply such a thin tape to an Amulet without it tearing or folding! Another experiment you could try is to double-stack two pieces of Trance tape on each of your Amulets to gain a thicker .018" thickness.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20