View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
$400 on materials and weeks of my time,
He he he.... Yes... If only you spent $400 on your first guitar you would be doing a lot better than the rest of us... It could be 5x that if you have to buy all the tools and a work bench... And I assume you want tuners... This is probably the #1 best reason to do a class - access to the tools and the shop supplies.

Generally it's somewhere in between because you have some tools and some shop supplies... You will make do with what you have or can knock together on other operations, and you will buy some tools, parts, and jigs to supplement for stuff you can't live without....

$400-$600 on materials and a total budget of $1,200-$1500 counting tools and sundries is probably an honest estimate...

Quote:
to finally string and tune something to watch it collapse on itself like a black hole.
That is usually never the problem #1 guitars have now that plans and books are available... They usually always suffer from terrible setup and bad fretwork because basically no book or video covers this part well.... Wonky intonation is another common first guitar problem because of people cutting their own fretboards and mis-gluing bridges... Typically - they simply end up quiet and unresponsive because it's built *WAY* too heavily....

Sorry if this seems like a bitter ray of sunshine.... But I am trying to paint an honest picture.

Last edited by Truckjohn; 08-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.