View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 06:46 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Nylon string guitars in classic folk rock music

Reading and enjoying the threads about nylon guitars prompted me think about this.

Among the reasons I bought a Chimaera 6/12 was to finally have a 12 stringer and also have the 6 to be able to change necks within a given song because that's how the original was played. Think Stairway (yes, I enjoy playing that song) and Hotel California. Beyond that, there are many songs I play that were originally performed on a 12 string, and I enjoy going between the necks for the interesting dynamics it brings to a song. And it's a really fun guitar.

I've never had an interest in nylon string guitars because I've considered them as being for classical or other forms of music outside my taste in playing, plus, on the rare occasion I've had one in my hands, it was a traditional type with a wide neck that I don't like.

I just thought about it and perhaps it is likely that many songs within my classic folk rock interest of songs were originally played on a nylon. Of course, it's possible to do a rendition of any song on a nylon, but I'd only be interested to own one if knowing that enough of the songs I enjoy playing were originally played on one.

I have accumulated a list of songs I like to play that were originally recorded on a 12 string, in part by doing google searches. I just tried this for nylon guitars, and can't find anything. I'd appreciate it if anyone can list any songs that might be within my classic folk rock taste. If it turns out that there's enough of them, I might just look more seriously at a nylon.

Thanks!