View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 01:54 AM

IMHO the mod-d is closely associated with somogyi and so to get a version of the mod-d, its not enough to reproduce the dimensions ajnd shape and aesthetics of his mod-d, but the mod-d you do get should have a tonal profile rhat bears the narks of the architecture of the tone of the somogyi mod-d. In order to confidently be able to obtain a nod-d in such a lineage, it is best to either get one made under his name, or that was made by one of his ex apprentices or failing which, by a luthier who attended a voicing workshop given by Somogyi.

However virtually all of his ex apprentices charge more than 7k most of the time even their starting base price is higher than that. The ex-apprentice whose base price was or is nearest to the OP's max price of 7k is Mark Gaiero, AFAIK and I believe his base price is likely higher than that now. At any rate jis website says he makes only one model- the OM.

The next best thing seems to be luthiers who have done somogyi's workshop of which Tim mcknight and Mark hatcher are great candidates to build your mod-d. I have also been told good things about Keisuke Nishi's guitars by Marcus Wong of golden era guitars whom he represents, and Marcus is a straight shooter. I recall that Pandaroo who is a member of this forum, also owns or owned a keystone guitar and he liked it a lot.