View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawsoniii View Post
I just ordered a G6122T-62GE Vintage Select Edition 1962 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman from Guitar Center.

This is a retirement present to myself (I retired last November). I have been putting money aside for this for years....a few dollars here and there.....”mad money” I use to buy things for myself. I was still several hundred dollars short. I happened to look at the Guitar Center web sight today. I normally buy from Musicians Friend because of their rewards program.

Lo and behold, what do I see......my guitar selling for $2,199 instead of the usual $2,999! By far the lowest price I have seen for a brand new one that wasn’t a blem or scratch n dent. It won’t ship until 11/30, but I don’t care.
I love those early double-cut Gents - when I was a kid I fell in love with the flame-bodied one inside the front cover of the '63 catalog, long before anyone in Brooklyn (aside from George Harrison's sister, who TMK lived in the Bay Ridge neighborhood at the time) had heard of the Beatles - but if you can beg/borrow/steal the extra bucks, you can have one of these for the normal street price of a production-line '62 Gent:

http://www.streetsoundsnyc.com/grets...-guitar-ss2603

FYI they call it a '62, but having seen a couple originals as well as this beauty it's actually a dead-on copy of a late '63 White Falcon (there were differences in the f-hole binding and mute controls on the '62); except for the printed serial number on the back of the headstock and the domes on the Space Control bridge (the originals were more rounded) you'd think Mr. Spock beamed it through a time warp from the old Brooklyn factory - actually, the new ones are better-made/play better than most of the vintage stuff - and considering there are only twelve in existence there's also the value-added collector panache. Here's some pics to drool over as you sip your morning coffee: