View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
Hmmm.... layers of carbon fiber held together with layers of resin, layers of wood veneer held together with glue, layers of phenol pressed together and heated to activate glue between the laminations (HPL). They all seem very similar to me. I don't see how it is possible to not see the similarities.
When I compare different guitars, I don’t think one bit about how they were constructed. The use of laminates in wood guitars is (usually) simply to make them more affordable. The reasons for using carbon fiber are so different, and the results so different, when someone compares the two (especially without providing any reason for the comparison), I have to assume that they think that CF guitars are inferior to wood guitars, just as laminate guitars are generally inferior to all wood guitars. I would disagree with this conclusion (that CF is inferior to all wood construction, if that was what was intended).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
It is a personal matter... none of the advantages have to do with how it sounds. It is all about how it is possible to be less careful with the guitar. It's possible to play them in the rain. To each their own, when it rains, I'm going inside. I am interested... I continue trying them.
For my tastes, I actually agree that the advantages don’t have anything to do with how the guitars sound. I don’t buy CF because I prefer the sound to wood. I buy CF guitars because at least some of them sound plenty good enough and I just got tired of dealing with environmental issues. It is important to note that the guitars do have to sound good (to my ear), or I wouldn’t buy them.

Some people would argue this point with you. Some have grown to love the crystalline sound of some of the CF guitars to the point where they feel that wood guitars sound muffled and muddy. To them, they believe CF guitars actually sound better than wood. I’m not in that group of people, but my 6-string CF guitars are all made by CA, the lone CF manufacturer that tries to emulate the sound of wood guitars. I understand their point, though. And I think they would agree with your statement that it’s a “personal matter”.