View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
So, are you saying the new ones made today are not as good as the older ones made in Korea? Or did you mean get the Electromatics and avoid the Streamliner?
Go for the Electromatics - a whole lot more guitar for not that much more money, and I've seen more than a few Holiday/Coupon Day sales that bring certain E-Matic models/colors within $50-75 of the Streamliner series, so be patient and shop around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post
Remember, I am basically a complete beginner...I have no idea what all of these knobs/controls are for on this Mustang I amp that I have...
I'm not surprised in the least and, at the risk of ruffling a few feathers, that's precisely why I always recommended an analog (non-modeling) amp - with an absolute minimum of bells and whistles - as a first purchase for my students; at this stage all you really need is something to make your guitar louder while you develop both your instrumental technique and technical knowledge - what happens when you turn this dial or flip this switch, and being able to not only hear the tonal differences but use them creatively - and as with anything else in life you need to crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run. Think of it as crossgrading rather than upgrading - simplifying the learning curve to the point of manageability; that said, there are a number of suitable amps in the $100-200 range that fall under this heading - here's a sample selection you might find at the typical big-box store:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/comb...rrencyCode=USD

Sorry I couldn't filter out the digital (Line 6, Yamaha, NUX, Mustang) and dedicated acoustic-guitar (Laney LA15C, Peavey Ecoustic) amps, but I think you get the idea of what I'm talking about. Of these, my personal favorites are the Peavey Rage and Bugera V5 - the latter (which I own) being as simple as it gets in terms of controls, but which can serve you for a lifetime as a small-gig/home-practice amp (do a search - there are several very satisfied owners here on the AGF), the Peavey being a good option if you're looking for tight clean tones (FYI Peavey amps were - and still are, to some extent - the go-to country-music studio amps in the '80s-90s for just that reason) and a broader spectrum of tone control (bass/mid/treble - no harder to operate than your home stereo - as well as a separate overdrive channel if you want to get a little crazy... ). In any event I understand and sympathize with your situation - as a retired elementary-school teacher I have extensive experience with beginners - and age aside, the KISS principle clearly applies here: start off slow and easy, and you'll do better in the long run...