View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 04:47 PM

Well phase 1 has begun. With everything settled down and all the boxes unpacked (we really don't have that much) I have been thinking very strategically about how to get the most out of the space that I have.

I have become very much a fan of the concept of keeping the tools separate from the area where the work is being done. Reason being is that many of us keep tools up on the wall, and unfortunately if a single lone sharp tool decides it's going to fall from it's place on the wall then a spruce top doesn't stand much chance of surviving.

So the first task is to organize the space and then do a built in workspace with a tool wall, workbench, and a glue up bench separate from the space where the parts are cut and assembled. Think of it as a micro-factory of sorts. The advantage to the glue up bench being separate is that it's just a space to store components like sides/tops while they're being glued together instead of taking up an actual work space where I can be working on the next one.

With the advent of the new space I have decided to give batch building a try. Maybe 2-3 at a time of a given body style. This will mean that I can't spend as much time on a single piece but it will make me streamline the process and hopefully to be able to offer consistent guitars to multiple folks at a time. In the apartment it simply wasn't possible to have more than 1 guitar in process at a time. We'll see how it goes. Stay tuned for more soon.

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"