View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 06:32 PM

Although my current project is entirely based around melding music with words, I spend about a decade concentrating on guitar-based "Instrumentals." So even if music and words is my current thing, music without words sometimes resists titling.

I think I was somewhat influenced in naming them by what I know of the practice of modern Jazz composers and players in naming their tunes. In many cases the titles used on records were somewhat casually applied, or supplied by someone in the studio not even the bandleader. I think sometimes of the live piece played by the electric-band Miles Davis that was released with the title "Call It Anything."

I sometimes named the tunes based on something I was dealing with, or thinking about when I wrote or improvised the tune. Other times I would use whatever description made sense to me about the way the music turned out.

To a potential listener the later might guide them to listen to it The former are often mysterious, but even that can intrigue a listener.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....