View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
You're unlikely to get a recording from any pickup directly that sounds as good as using the least expensive mic you can find. Unless you like the sound of a guitar thru a pickup, which most don't. They work OK for live use, but in a recording, the sound of a pickup is painfully obvious to most. The best option you have if you really want to do it is to use ToneDexter, which will make your K&Ks sound much closer to an acoustic sound. It probably still won't fool anyone, but it would be an improvement.

I did a series of experiments to see what kinds of recordings I could make with a K&K quite a while back, using different techniques. You can see here:

https://soundcloud.com/doug-young/se...-a-pickup-demo

(Warning, none of these are very good...). This was done before ToneDexter existed. I should probably update this to include some ToneDexter examples.
Thanks Doug, the ToneDexter may be something I move to at a later date - for the moment I'm building my first setup, so budget is tight - working desk, active monitors, monitor stands, SM57 and T.bone SC1100, mike stands and clamps (for fixing directly onto my Deluxe's frame).....