View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I don’t think the questions around touchscreen suitability are about reliability.

They’re about ergonomics, and the wisdom of relegating more and more control functions to a device which requires the user to take his or her eyes off the road to use.
Our German car is a part-all digital instrument panel and I've been in others with more but not actually tested the Porsche CarUVs. Still VAG products. You have to look hard to or actually think about them not being a conventional instrument panel. PACCAR delivers a lot of vehicles to a reactionary bunch - truck drivers. If a late model Kenworth or Peterbilt is turned off you can see it's no classic cab KW or Pete. If it's turned on it's same and other vital data displayed better than ever.

Some surely do better with the menus than others even in same company - try a late model Forester vs Outback for example. An Outback still gives you two small (my opinion) knobs much like the past two generations of same vehicle.

The availability issues have us trying a lot of vehicles right now. The ergonomics issue that stands out isn't in basic or classic design but the way higher end models have SO much stuff to differentiate themselves from the entry and mid-levels that have become so good.

Admittedly the Macan discussed only got quick look and feel, but the Audi it's based on also seemed crazy after getting in our VW based on same platform. Maybe I'd have thought differently when I was more of a car enthusiast, or if I was still driving either side of 20,000 miles a year. The whole process makes me jealous of those on the continents where the Mk 8 R estate or other wagons are available. The Mk 8 R will come to the US but there's not much storage in that car as cool as I think they are.