View Single Post
Old 07-17-2021, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Down the Rockabilly Rabbit Hole SpruceTop Goes! I just got a Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo to simulate that Sun Records slap-back echo made popular on early Elvis, Johnny Cash, and Carl Perkins records, and Boy! does it do the job! Not only does it do slap-back echo but it can replicate the varying-length delay times and repeats of single and multi-head tape machines, and it can also do it with the tone of varying tape-related wow and flutter, and tape aging! It also does "hard" reverb but does it musically. The delay effects sound warm as you'd expect from tape-derived delay effects and El Capistan can also be used to create musically toned delay effects for any kind of music, old to new. Leave the hassles of tape-based delay machines behind and get your tape tones done digitally by the El Capistan.

If you're looking for a simpler less involved echo/delay pedal, they're available from other makers for about half the price of the El Capistan. For me, the Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo pedal is a worthwhile purchase and a winner!

Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo Pedal

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-17-2021 at 03:14 PM.