View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 08:23 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
Barry,

Sorry to hear your nylon gee-tar is collecting dust. A few suggestion if I may.

1) Try not to bite your nails.

I'm sure your mom told you that years ago. Most moms do. Now if you must bite your nails try just the nails on your fretting hand. Thats what I do. I'm up in years and my mom's is not around to scold me for biting them. But my wife has now taken her place and she'll glare at me and say "stop that".

2) As for technique I would highly suggest Aaron Schearer's Method Books 1 and 2 and or Bradford Werner's Method books. Both give clear and concise detail as to the proper positioning of the hand and fingers along with how to execute free stroke and rest stroke. One of Bradford Werner's books is over a hundred pages with scale and arpeggios to train each individual finger
("I" indice, "M" medio, "A" anulor and Thumb)... I use them (the practice scales and arpeggios) 15 to 20 minutes a day to warm up.

3) Both these study books also give instructions on the proper way to file and care for your nails. I myself take vitamins specific to nail health and growth and for years I have used and swear by using Sally Hanson "Hard as Nails"
Thanks, but the thing is I'm 65 and I want to spend most of my guitar time playing and making music, not trying to make music. If I was a 40 years younger I wouldn't mind wasting a few days a week chasing the correct right hand classical tone for a few years, but I don't have those years now.

I'm not a nail biter, btw. Pizza yes, finger nails, no

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}: