View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 08:38 PM

Default Replaced Coaxial UST With Solid UST + K&K

I have an Eastman slope-shoulder I use a lot for playing out. It came with a Fishman Sonicore installed which I could have lived with except for the fact that the output was very uneven across the strings and dulled the acoustic tone. I removed it, made a new saddle and put in a K&K Pure Mini, which I have in all the other guitars. As much as I like the K&K's they work best when you have some control over the sound, not always the case, even with a Pure Preamp.

I had an old Martin Thinline passive UST that's been laying around for over 20 years and thought I'd install it to use it as part of a dual source with the K&K. There was an issue with the hole in the saddle slot for the old Sonicore since these coaxial UST's holes are drilled on a 45 degree angle. I was reluctant to drill yet another hole so I tried feeding the wire into the 45 degree hole. Surprisingly, it seemed to work without forcing and lay flat so I wired it in to the stereo jack, installed a new saddle and ran a stereo cable out to a Schatten Mini-Pre 2. Used it out tonight and I think these pickups work well together. You can use them individually or blended, depending on the venue and sound system. I think blending a little of the UST adds some snap to the K&K.