View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 11:59 PM

I recently used Target products for the first time with mixed results. Their waterbased shellac has a distinct amber color to it that is not what I was looking for. It has a very low viscosity, like water, and can only be sprayed in very, very light coats else it runs. Sprayed in light coats, it applies fine.

I sprayed EM7000, their high-build waterbased finish. It would not adhere properly, despite a variety of test conditions/combinations. I'd had it for a while, though unopened. They no longer list it on their website and appears to be discontinued.

I switched to Target's waterbased sealer and EM6000. Both worked adequately, though I did find that the EM6000 does leave witness marks when you sand through it - I found it doesn't fully melt the previously applied layers, despite the manufacturer's claims. (That inability has been an issue in previous waterbased finishes.) It does buff to a good shine, though I found it took a full two weeks to cure sufficiently, beyond the 150 hours stated by the manufacturer. Overall, I found the finish "OK". It isn't nitrocellulose lacquer, but it also doesn't come with the hazards nitro does.

My tests with Royal Lac so far have been good and I'm part way through French polishing a guitar with it. It appears to be viable option.