View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
I'm still exploring this. What I do notice is too much side signal sounds silly - like some giant, glorious guitar played by gods. I recorded a friend playing classical guitar last night, and I did a recording of one of my steel string pieces. I've been doing some comparisons with records I like. Just getting a feel for it.

The other thing I'm getting is room noise, especially from the S mic. I had them about 2 feet out. I'm going to experiment with closer mic'ing and tonight I get to move a bunch of furniture around so I can set things up with the laptop outside the room. Fortunately, my studio connects to the rest of the house via a little hallway, and my wife doesn't seem to mind if I take over a bit more space. (I'm a lucky guy. )

I'm pretty excited about this technique already. The tones we got were very nice. At the moment my biggest concern is trying to reduce the noise a bit, and I expect getting the computer and gear out of the room is going to make a big difference.
I believe for M-S recording of guitar you need to be close mic'd so that some of what you get in the side mic is the same as what's coming into the center (when the side signal is added to the center signal for one stereo channel, and the inverted side is added to the center siganl for the other stereo channel, there must be some 'common signal' from both mics in order to generate the stereo field).

I'd suggest close micing ( around 8"?) somewhere near the mid point of the body, but in such a way so your center mic isn't in the blast of air from the soundhole.

Here's a song I recorded with MS technique. There are 3 versions, with differing amount of stereo field created by differing amount of side signal added to the center.

http://soundcloud.com/chuck_s/sets/m...poling/s-YclT7

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi