View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjk View Post
First the whining. I cut off the tip of my little finger on my fretting hand last night. Imagine the entire area where there would be callus. Gone. Pepperoni, wine and a large sharp knife were involved. Sigh. I kinda needed that piece.

Anybody ever do this? Did it heal reasonably well, and if so, how long did it take before you could play again? I’m thinking a couple of months at least.

Related question: anybody have a recommendation for an zoom/Facebook resonator guitar instructor? On line tutorials won’t help - I need someone to interact with for a few lessons at least.

Thanks.
I did virtually the same thing last summer while cutting drywall. I kept a hydrocolloid bandage (Band-Aid Hydroseal) on it through the healing process, and it healed pretty well. Took about 6 weeks before it was completely healed, and it was hyper sensitive for a few weeks after that.

When I realized I wouldn't be able to play guitar for a while (about 10 seconds after it happened), I bought a Gretsch Bobtail squareneck, and signed up with Troy Brenningmeyer's streaming website. The site and the instructor are both excellent, with very detailed lessons, accompanying tablature, and backing tracks. I believe at one point he was offering one-on-one lessons, I don't know if that's still the case, but it might be worth asking. His websites are www.lessonswithtroy.com and www.lwtstreaming.com

I found that training my ear to hear when I was intonating correctly was incredibly difficult. I would think I was playing in tune, but when I would play back a recording of myself, I could tell that I was usually unpleasantly off. Once my finger healed, I put the reso away and haven't touched it much since.