View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningside View Post
In classic country (and to a lesser degree pop), it's quite common for the key to change in the middle of the song. I believe the technical term for this is "modulation."
Hi morningside…
Modulation is another tool in the kit.

Modulation is a device which holds interest, signals changes ahead (like bridge-coming-up or/and the-end-is-near).

Contrary to some who posted in this thread, modulation is not often the singer merely showing off vocal prowess. And if it is, and the singer is 'that-good' then why not show it off!! That's what most of us are doing when we sing or play - showing off.

It's used in both vocal and instrumental music.

From an arranger's standpoint it is to create nearly invisible (to the listener) changes which create/hold interest.

From a producer's point of view it extends the song longer, or bridges from one short piece to the next when building a medley.

From a listener's point of view, I particularly like modulations in-n-out of bridges. This allows the bridge to be shifted to another key, or from major-to-minor (vice-versa) etc and then returned to the original or to a new key from the original coming out of the bridge.

It's not limited to any genre. Classical, pop, rock, country, jazz all rely on modulation.

The simplest modulation which sounds pleasant/seamless to listener's ears (and sensible to music theorists) is to play the V7 chord of the target key (five-seven) followed by the new Root chord. I use this mode when arranging songs for main singers who sing the melody all the way through a song.

A second one is so play the root of the key you are in then repeat that chord as a 7th chord, and shift to the key 4 steps higher (5 steps lower).

Example-key of G…| G | C | D | G |…G7 to key of C | F | G7 | C | etc

Here's the same thing in Key of E moving to key of … … E | A | B7 | E |…E7 | A | D | E7 | A |

I use the key-up-a-fourth transition when duets want to swap roles so the other person (who was singing harmony) is now singing melody. Often used for a last verse/end of song.

When I studied music theory, we had a full section on very elaborate and ornate (fancy) ways to modulate.

That may serve the classical forms well, but for ordinary key changes within simple songs, long and elaborate modulations to avoid people noticing were fun exercises, but useless since they were often many measures long.

As for barre chords, that's also another tool in your tool-box…and why avoid it? Millions of players have conquered and utilized them for hundreds of years.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…